Re: [linux-lvm] moving LVM to a new box

If I suppose you can install and boot you old disk in you new system together with the new disk, >you can do the following (I suppose the old disk is /dev/hda with a /dev/hda1 partition, and new >one /dev/sda with a /dev/sda1 partition, I suppose your volume group is vg0):

make backups ;-)

- pvcreate /dev/sda1
- vgextend vg0 /dev/sda1
- move all the lv data with pvmove /dev/hda1.
- vgreduce vg0 /dev/hda2
- you will have to configure lilo/grub to install and point on your new disk.

I've done such a way but it was not with lvm2. Maybe there are some pvmove issues with lvm2.
/dev/hda2->/dev/sda2

The new box booted correctly with the old disk.
When I tried to move my PV to a new partition using
pvmove /dev/hda2
I got kernel panic. After reseting I have complitly lost my VG.

What did I wrong?

I forgot to say that my root partition was on the VG I tried to move to the new disk.
Did this cause the problem?

Zoltan Sutto

Ps.: Installing/etc...