[linux-lvm] strange logical volume issue

Andrew Hilborne cseoqs002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:25:23 UTC 2005

--On 11 January 2005 14:24 +0000 "Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com" wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:42:40PM +0100, messmate wrote:
>> there is somewhat strange with a lv of mine: lv_usr-local.
>> Marked as /dev/mapper/vg1_hda1-lv_usr--local    and
>> as /dev/vg1_hda/lv_usr-local  !
>>
>> See the (-) differences.
>
> A hyphen in the name in /dev/mapper separates the volume
> group name from the logical volume name.
>
> If you put hyphens in either of those names they
> get quoted by doubling them up.

Yes indeed. Sadly (I now feel) I created my VG with the name "VG-1" and now
I see exactly this "problem."

So far as I can see, I have a VG with this naming issue, some LVs with
*names" which reflect the same problem, and some entries in /etc/fstab (I'm
running Debian on this machine, FWIW) which contain associated /dev/mapper
names.

Now that someone has brought this up, can someone possibly tell me a safe
way to go about renaming things? I was thinking of something like "VG1" :)

--
Andrew Hilborne