[linux-lvm] LVM2 (SuSE 9.2): I/O errors on disk, use dd_rescue or pvmove?

Jens Benecke jens-lvm at spamfreemail.de
Wed Jan 19 18:49:34 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a VG for /home across three harddisks. Now one of them is
experiencing problems (I/O errors). I'll get a replacement soon but
obviously I'd like to rescue as much data as possible.

What would be my best bet? Free 250G off /home, then try pvmove to move the
data off that harddisk, or wait for the replacement disk, and then boot
some mini-Linux without LVM support, and using dd_rescue to clone the whole
disk?

Thank you!

--
Jens Benecke (jens at spamfreemail.de)