I can see that LVs might be quite convenient spread over multiple physical drives but I can't see that much advantage on one drive . .

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2005.07.16 06:06, Post, Mark K wrote:
I've always recommended not having the root file system on a logical
volume.  For reasons other than this, but my advice still stands.

Mark Post

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-bounces redhat com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces redhat com]
On Behalf Of Philip Rhoades
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 4:02 PM
To: linux-lvm redhat com
Subject: [linux-lvm] lvm and reducing vols/ext3

People,

I have looked around at the docs and googled and it seems if I want to

reduce a root vol/partition I have to:

- boot on an emergency CD

- resize the root ext3 partition

- reduce the lv

Isn't this process just making the exercise more complicated than it
would have been if I didn't have LVs?

Thanks,

Phil.