[linux-lvm] How to recover data corrupted by vgcreate

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 16:41:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:00:02AM -0500, Jonathan E Brassow wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2005, at 12:24 PM, AJ Lewis wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:33:05AM -0500, Jonathan E Brassow wrote:
> >>I'm not familiar exactly with how the metadata gets laid on disk, but
> >>I would think you could just 'vgcreate vg_name /dev/hdd2' (you did
> >>this
> >>already) then 'lvcreate -n <lvname> -l <max size> vg_name'...  This of
> >>course assumes that the previous lv resided wholly on /dev/hdd2.  Then
> >>try mounting the new lv and see what happens.
> >
> >Before you do that, try vgcfgrestore.
> >

> AJ, when he did the initial 'vgcreate' was part of the process to
> create a backup copy of the metadata?  If so, vgcfgrestore could work.
> But otherwise, I'm not sure were the old metadata would be stored,
> since this disk is from a different machine...  Seems odd to me that
> vgcreate would blow over the old vg if it knew about it.  If it did not
> know (or detect the old vg), how would it know to backup the metadata?

Not sure, but if the reason the disk was moved was because a cpu went out, i'm
assuming the old root fs is also on that disk - hoping so anyway ;)  If so,
the old root fs can be mounted and /etc/lvm/archive can be checked for a valid
copy of the metadata.  (Assuming root wasn't on lvm...)

As to why vgcreate didn't recognize the old VG...that's very odd - not sure
what went wrong there...

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat                                    E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...