[linux-lvm] Raw device usage with LVM2 question

I am moving some LVM1 use to a system with LVM2.

Under LVM1, I was creating my own /dev/raw device nodes with mknod and would use the raw command to point my raw devices at a logical volume. The raw command would be issued to link each of my created /dev/raw/ devices to "/dev/volume-group-name/logical-volume-name"

With LVM2, it appears that "/dev/volume-group-name/logical-volume-name" is a symbolic link to /dev/mapper/volumegroupname-logical-volume-name.
Should my raw device be pointing to the same thing (now a symlink under LVM2) as under LVM1? Or should I change the raw command to point my /dev/raw device to the /dev/mapper/ device?

I am using SuSE 9.3 Pro, if it matters.
--
Gary Eheman
Fundamental Software, Inc.