[linux-lvm] df doesn't display increased available disk space

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Thu Mar 3 21:47:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:35:55PM +0000, Robert Buick wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 3 with LVM2, and have added /dev/hda4 (13.09GB)
> to the VG, however this increase is not reflected if I do a df -h. Have
> I missed something?

Yes - you need to resize the filesystem as well.

If you are using an ext2 or ext3 filesystem you could use resize2fs. If you
are using reiserfs, you could use resize_reiserfs. I don't know about resize
tools for other filesystems.

Please note that resize2fs in Fedora Core 3 is buggy, and may corrupt the
resize inode. To get a version that works better, I recommend you download and build
from source e2fsprogs 1.36 from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.36.tar.gz

(If you wanted to avoid using resize2fs altogether, you could of course
backup all your data in /, mke2fs the root filesystem, and copy all the data
back again. But that would be much slower.)
--
Robin