Re: [linux-lvm] hardware raid5 and lvm "recipe"

Amir Mistric wrote:
We are contemplating to start using RHEL v4 in our enterprise.
Most of our servers have a hardware RAID.
The server we are using for a RHEL 4 trial install has 4x36GB SCSI drives configured using RAID 5.
Of course, we also want to use LVM.
Can someone please suggest what would be the best “layout”/”recipe” considering the configuration I described?
Using “automatically” partitioning during install RHEL suggests:
/boot and swap outside LVM and the rest of space in LVM mounted under / file system.
Is this sufficient layout for maximum flexibility? Should I create other logical volumes and file systems?

Seems like a good enough policy. An alternative is to have a larger root, so that you can do LVM diagnostics without using a boot CD. But using a standard vendor configuration means that you're going to surprise fewer admins that come along.

Any tips are appreciated

Here's a tip... simulate a failure and make sure that you can detect it. If you've got pluggable disks, then quiesce the system and unplug one. Never unplug an active disk, of course. -- Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13 (include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)