[linux-lvm] swap on LVM

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Sun May 1 02:13:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 17:43 +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:03:36AM -0400, Michael T. Babcock wrote:

> I can't confirm that, as I've been using swap partitions on LVs on
> several systems with both LVM1 and LVM2 for some years without problems.

I also have used swap on LVM for over a year. The only problem I've ever
had was with LVM1 not allowing me to swapoff any lvm-based swap
partitions. For that reason, on lvm1 boxes I make a big ext2 partition
and put a swap file on that. Slightly lower performance.. but I don't
mind. For me swap on servers is just there to prevent the box from OOM
killing stuff before I can get on and shut things down gracefully.