[linux-lvm] help

Colm G. Connolly colm.connolly at ucd.ie
Sat May 7 14:18:16 UTC 2005

David Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/5/05, Diaz Rodriguez, Eduardo <ediaz at pk25.com> wrote:
>
>># From LVM how to
>>
>>xfs
>>There is no way to shrink XFS file systems.
>>
>>If your are touch lvm2 you must know that about 250Gx1000 and 233x1024.
>>
>>try use xfs_repair -n for see the reparis..
>

> I don't think that's an issue here because the history that was posted
> did not include an xfs_grow after he grew the LV. As such this should
> IMO be a pure LVM issue, because XFS was not grown.

Yep. I never changed the size of teh XFS filesystem. The issue was with the
underlying LVM geometry.

>>I use (but it is only a personal opinion, this is very dangerous)
>>(use again the first commands).
>>vgextend my_volume_group /dev/hdc1
>>lvextend -L250G /dev/HOME_VG/HOME_LV
>>lvscan
>

> Hmm, I agree that it sounds a bit "dangerous" but it might be worth a shot.

Well it worked. I've since copied everything off the logical volume and
recreated it with the correct size.

>>In this point use xfs_repair -n
>>If you see good, use xfs_repair (pray)....
>>if you don't have luck try xfs_repair -d (after of this reboot) (read man
>>xfs_repair)
>>try to mount. (pray again).....
>

> See above, should not be necessary.

Thanks to all for the help.

Regards,

--
Colm G. Connolly		| Tel   : +353-1-716-2855
Department of Computer Science	| Fax   : +353-1-269-7262
Belfield, Dublin 4, Éire	| MSN   : colmconn at hotmail.com