[linux-lvm] disk capacity discrepancy: is it 1000 versus 1024?

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Tue May 17 06:21:39 UTC 2005

Although Greg has bascially done the maths, it works out exactly right as
5.09TiB

i.e. 14 * 400 * 10^9 = 5600 * 10^9 = 5.6 * 10^12 TB

In TiB

(5.6 * 10 ^12) / (1024 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024) = 5.09 TiB which is exactly
what you are seeing.

I would guess LVM is simply reporting TiB with the suffix TB since the whole
Gibi, Tibi etc thing is yet to completely take off and not everyone is using
it.

It starts getting a bit rough when you lose 500GB due to 1024 vs 1000.

CH