[linux-lvm] Re: HELP: LVM1 not starting automatically

Bill Mair wrote:
Hi all,

After a HD failure "mid-pvmove" no less, my LVM won't start automatically :(

System: Debian sarge with LVM1.

<snip/>

Many thanks to Robot101 (Robert McQueen) for his help on IRC (irc.freenode.net
on the #lvm channel).

It back up and running now, I had to upgrade to LVM2, and it was happy with the situation.

Because my kernel already had device-mapper support compiled in, it wasn't a
problem to move to LVM2.

What I did (under Robert's instruction) was the following:

1) Grabbed the lvm2 package (without installing)
 apt-get -d install lvms

2) Unpacked it to access the tools
  mkdir lvm2
  cd lvm2
  dpkg -x /var/cache/apt/archives/lvm2 .... .deb

3) Rebooted to single user mode

4) cd lvm2/lib/lvm-200

** USE LOCAL LVM2 TOOLS !

5) ./vgscan

-- LVM2 found rootvg without a problem

** USE LOCAL LVM2 TOOLS !

6) ./vgchange -a y

-- LVM2 activated rootvg without a problem

7) Installed lvm2

  dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/lvm2 .... .deb

8) reboot

Voila, no more LVM problems.

After that I unitsalled lvm10 and adjusted /etc/lvm/lvm.conf so that it
wasn't looking for LVM devices on the loop back interface or /dev/hd.*

Everythings working now as I wanted, so once again many thanks to
Robot101 :)

--
Bill