[linux-lvm] Daemon or Thread with 5 minute interval

I have been working on a project that analyzes "noise" in Linux clusters running large parallel jobs. Where noise is caused by daemons or kernel threads periodically waking up and slowing down a process of a parallel job enough so that is misses a rendezvous with the other processes and so slows down the entire job. Using an internal tool I have been able to track down several daemons that have been a large source of noise but, after turning them all off I am left with a large noise spike that occurs every 5 minutes. I have tried turning off most of the most common daemons such as cron, ntp, syslog, ect. but, I am still left with this spike. Not being a kernel expert myself I have not been able to experiment with kernel threads. So, my question is does anyone know of a kernel thread or daemon in the 2.4 kernel that wakes up every 5 minutes?

Thanks

Howard