[linux-lvm] LVM, device-mapper and the Linux kernel

Hi!

Is there some documentation available about the interactions between LVM,
device-mapper and the Linux kernel?  (Apart from only reading the source
code, which I'll--of course--also (have to) do.)

I know how to handle the tools from a user's perspective, but now I'm
about to try to introduce the world of Logical Volume Management to
GNU/Hurd, hopefully basing my effort on the already existing code base.

Any pointers?

Regards,
 Thomas