[linux-lvm] Dead Motherboard.. LVM Problems..

Mr, Radiks mrradiks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:44:37 UTC 2005

Ok, heres my bad luck story.. have a nice happy linux box runing 3 hdd's ..
2 of them nice SATA devices (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1) and one happy go lucky
200gig /dev/hda1 now, i noticed my bios was out of date.. so figured why not
risk an upgrade.. ... and now the horror story.. in the middle of the
update.. the power to my hole house flickers off.. and very loud son of a
b*tch echo's through the house.. when the power came back on, my motherboard
was dead, nothing more than a beeping paperwight.. soo, i ran out and bought
me a new motherboard, i even upgraded from my dead ECS 755-A2 to a nice DFI
Lanparty UT nForce 3 250Gb .. i get the motherboard, hook every thing up..
it boots... and screams.. couldnt find device for uuid..... well i boot into
linux rescue cd.. and run a nice vgscan.. pvscan.. lvscan.. and its all
happy.. finds every thing has no error msgs.. i can even move around the
hole LV and look at contents of files.. and every thing looks just find..
but.. still wont boot.. i gave up and figured maybe i can do a reinstall
booted into the installer and it says that /dev/hda1 isnt part of VolGroup00
but.. if you goto edit it.. wow magicly you can edit it.. becuase its part
of VolGroup00!!! soo i cant asign my mount points becuase of size problems..
i want to keep the data i have on this system.. i just want to be able to
boot again..
 this is a Fedora Core 4 system, i have the full install DVD/Rescue.. i have
tryed puting the disks in difrent orders, and difrent location to check and
see if there might be a problem there, and have goten no change.. i will try
to awnser any questions to the best of my abilitys..
Drive Layout..
/dev/hda1 - 200gig LVM
/dev/sda1 - /boot
/dev/sda2 - 120gig LVM
/dev/sdb1 - 140gig LVM
it is using /dev/sda as the primary boot device.. i even get the full color
pretty grub screen.. pvscan -u says everyone has there proper UUID's no
partition changes have been made at all.. this is direct rip out of the dead
m-board and replaced with new .. only hardware change other that the
replacing of the motherboard was removing of 1 extra soundcard.. please help
me!. i dont have anyplace to store the 200gigs worth of importent data thats
on my linux system..
 Thanks for your time, and any help you may provide..