[linux-lvm] Not allowed to fill filesystem to 100%???

Question,

We have created some 300 GB lvm2 (RH 4.0 AS)  filesystems for our
PostgreSQL databases.  However, we tried to copy one of the larger
filesystems over to the new lvm filesystem and the copy abended due to
being.  The system was reporting that the file system was 100% full
with 0 blocks free.  However, a df reported almost 16GB free.

What's up with this?  Why is this large amount of space unavailable to
a normal user?

Thanks,

chris