[linux-lvm] Hosed up arrays and LVM

Bill Ranck ranck at vt.edu
Sun Nov 20 17:25:50 UTC 2005

Hello folks,
   I have a system where I am using md based multipath arrays with LVM2.
There was some maintenance on the IBM Shark SAN and when I rebooted this
system I got errors when my little startup script tried to do a vgscan.
The mdadm assemble step seems to have worked just fine, but here is a
part of the error messages from vgscan

[root at strongbad init.d]# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "local" using metadata type lvm2
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'CAg9Sn-5Jpw-V9bq-w0zl-Cv2I-tBjP-
qyw7QQ'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group HPPR.
[...]
  Volume group "HPPR" not found
  Found volume group "dbms" using metadata type lvm2

It continues on like that with another volume group and different uuids.
I have /dev/md0 through /dev/md11 defined with md and some of those seem
OK, but md1, md2, md3, md4, md8, md9, md11 are not seen by vgscan.  I
tried pvcreate on those missing arrays, which made them visible, but LVM
does not recognize them as part of the volume groups they belong to
anymore.

Can anyone suggest a course of action here?

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.