[linux-lvm] removing LVM remotely

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Oct 14 06:30:17 UTC 2005

Tom wrote:

> I have had a server set up with centos4 and the person who installed
> didn't follow my instructions, I wanted the partitioning set up without
> LVM and he used LVM, is there any way I can remove it and setup with
> normal partitoning remotely? (the server is in another country) i.e.
> /dev/hda1 hda2 hda3 etc.

If the root filesystem is on an LV, then removing all traces of LVM will
be non-trivial, even if you have access to the system. Remotely it will
be quite difficult, and will require someone rebooting the machine using
a live CD of some sort that you can use to manipulate the system. You
will also need adequate spare disk space to move things around without
losing them.