[linux-lvm] everything most of works one problem, one question

system: Ubuntu 5.10

first mistake was trying to use Ubuntus installer to set up LVM and raid.
second mistake was trying to use EVMS to set up LVM and raid.

resorting to what works (mdadm and LVM2 commands)I found myself getting this error message with every LVM command

  Incorrect metadata area header checksum

I deleted the first five or 10 MB of each disk in the raid set but it persists. Everything seems to operate, storage has been allocated, filesystems have been built, everything is detected on reboo and I have even resized one of the logical volumes and expanded the disk.

however, what I have read says that this warning message about incorrect metadata is something to be concerned about. My question is, how do I fix?

second, this is probably a "RTFWP" question but how do you determine the free space on a physical volume. For example, if I have two logical volumes created and I want to know how much space is left on the physical? (apologies if I got the vocabulary wrong)

--- eric