[linux-lvm] creating a snapshot

Hello folks,
   I have been trying to create a snapshot of a filesystem on a RHEL AS4
system.  Here is the command line and the error message:

# lvcreate --size 100m --snapshot --name snap01 /dev/HDVL/db01
  snapshot: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel

I copied the example right out of the man page.  I'm not sure what it
means that the device-mapper target is not detected in the kernel.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction here?

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.