Re: [linux-lvm] setting up LVM, lost everything with a typo

On 10/19/05, Craig Hagerman <craighagerman gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I recently got a new HD and thought it was about time I started using
LVM. Unfortunatly, I think I have ended up loosing all of my data due
to a typo. I would like to know if my data is lost forever. If not,
what can I do now to recover. Here is the whole story...

You've changed the partition table of /dev/sdb but the data itself _should_ still be intact (changing the type shouldn't adversely affect the offsets of your sdb1 partition).  You might try the type change on /dev/sda2 and then restore the backup of the media_vg's VGDA from /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg using pvcreate and vgcfgrestore, something like:

pvcreate --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg --uuid rlnV4y-B4eJ-Pyc0-RLJm-2Zbv-t04C-dxzU1A /dev/sdb1
pvcreate --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg --uuid ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6 /dev/sda2
vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg test_vg

That said, its unclear to me why /dev/sda2 is unknown...  so take my advise at your own risk ;)