[linux-lvm] pvresize patch pending

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 21:21:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 09:14:43PM +0100, Zak Kipling wrote:
> Indeed. I've recently been working on an implementation myself
> (primarily because I wanted to grow a live PV on my own system), which
> I've attached in its current (somewhat rough, but seemingly working)
> state as a patch against CVS HEAD.

Unless I've missed something while skimming through, I think the code
still needs a preceding 'pvcreate --restorefile' equivalent to ensure
the size of the device is set correctly in the label (for PVs in a VG).
(But since the 'Reinstate full PV size when removing from VG.' fix,
perhaps a code audit would show that we can safely override that label
field with the one taken from the VG and allow it to remain wrong on disk.)

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-July/msg00033.html
  https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-July/msg00029.html
  pvs -o +dev_size

Apart from that and the process_each_pv() simplification, it
looks pretty good!

> * Support for metadata formats other than format_text.

Let's just exclude them with a FMT_RESIZE_PV feature flag.

> * Support for more than one mda on a PV (I think it will currently
> clobber ones at the end of the PV, since it assumes all space after
> pe_start is available for extents).

Check the number of mdas on the PV and refuse to proceed if it exceeds 1.
We need to write separate new tools to add/remove/manipulate mdas.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com