[linux-lvm] Moving space between logical volumes?

Meadows, Howard T howard-meadows at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 1 15:28:57 UTC 2005

Chris,

    Thanks for your reply. The logical volumes in question are ext3
filesystems. I did read the man page for lvreduce and its warning about
possible loss of data was what originally prompted me to ask for help.

    I do not want to resize the partition (they are all on the same
partition), so I am wondering if e2fsadm might do the trick? It looks like
you can shrink (and expand) logical volumes using e2fsadm with the
restriction that shrinking only works on unmounted filesystems (if I'm
reading the man page correctly). So... my current thought is as follows:

    * unmount the filesystems in question.
    * use 'tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda5' to turn off journaling
    * use 'e2fsadm -L -100G /dev/vg/lv1' to reduce lv1 by 100GB
    * use 'e2fsadm -L +100G /dev/vg/lv2' to increase lv2 by 100GB
    * use 'e2fsck -f /dev/sda5' to check the filesystems
    * use 'tune2fs -j /dev/sda5' to turn journaling back on
    * re-mount the filesystems

    It seems (from the man page for e2fsadm) that lvreduce/lvextend would
then not be needed. Is this true?

    I would like to feel more confident that this would actually work before
I jump in there and do it because I don't feel like looking for a new job if
it doesn't. ;-)

    Thanks,

-Howard