[linux-lvm] Device mapper problems..

Suleyman Kutlu suleyman.kutlu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:36:10 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have an AMD-64 machine running SuSE 9.2. I have one SATA disk (for
now, will add another later on) and a VG on it. I have created some LVs.

Sometimes later, I realized that when I mount an LV (say lv_a) I see the
directory structure of another LV (say lv_b). If I issue a df -k, I see
a wrong size for lv_a, it is the size of lv_b. But in lvdisplay output,
the size for lv_a is correct.

The file systems on lv_a and lv_b is JFS.

/mnt is mounted as lv_b
/mnt2 is mounted as lv_a but has contents of lv_b

I thought that, filesystem structure is corrupted and started to work
on some filesystem level utilities, but later I see that,
another filesystem pair also got the same problem.

So I think it is a problem in device-mapper level, not the filesystem level.

What can be the possible works to get what is wrong and how to fix ?
If the corruption is at filesystem level, do you have any experience on
JFS-utils ? I just want to see what was stored in lv_a, what I lost in
lv_a...

I am new at device-mapper, I don't have enough experience on it and I
do not want to loose everything while there is something that can be
recovered...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and regards..

* Suleyman Kutlu