[linux-lvm] fsck for LVM?

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Fri Apr 7 02:03:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 14:44 -0700, Graham Norris wrote:
> I've got a user complaining that his filesystem in an lv is being
> corrupted. It's not clear whether it is the lv that is corrupted or
> the filesystem, I've not actually seen it in this state. I have seen a
> fsck log from when it is formatted with reiserfs failing though.
>
> The user says he's tried both reiserfs and ext3 in this lv, and both
> end up corrupted after a period of time (days). Since this user
> obviously has root (or they couldn't format the lv), I have to suspect
> they're breaking their own filesystem. They, OTOH, seem to think it is
> LVM's fault and want me to fix it.
>
> Is there something which can be run on an LVM setup to verify its
> integrity in much the same way as fsck is used on file systems? I've
> used vgck, vgscan, vgdisplay, lvscan, lvdisplay, pvscan and pvdisplay
> on the various pieces, and can see no problems. I've also scanned the
> physical disk the pv lives on and that shows no problems either.

If I were you, I would firstly go about checking the physical integrity
of the hard drives themselves, and run memtest86 on the system (if it's
a PC, that is). Also, did you check the logs for any kernel messages
about it (filesystem warnings, etc.)?

That might just be me, though. Someone else might have a real idea. :)

Fredrik Tolf