Re: [linux-lvm] LVM. Do i loose everything?

On Sunday 16 April 2006 16:40, kyr wrote:
> Hello,
>      I wound be thankful if you can answer one simple question that I
> haven't found the answer in all the LVM manuals, FAQ, howtos.
> I have a continuous (not stiped) VG consisting of 3 PV (Hard Disks) with
> one LV on EXT3.
> If one hard disk fails (hardware) will i loose everything on all disks?

I'm far from an expert with LVM, but I think the answer is a safe No.  And
even further, you could possibly recover the data on the damaged drive (see

The data stored on that particular drive might become in accessible (without
any recovery efforts), but the data sitting on the other drives should still
be there.

I'm taking a guess based on what I saw during a data recovery process, but...
It looks like the drive/partition is tagged as being part of a volume, and
then the appropriate file system is applied.  If this is the case, then
loosing a drive should not corrupt your filesystem on the remaining drives.

I am not comfortable enough with my knowledge to say this is anywhere near
authoritative.  But I do hope I helped...