Re: [linux-lvm] lvm partition on lv

On 8/8/06, Randall Smith <randall tnr cc> wrote:
Let's say on /dev/vg1/test I had one LVM partition and one ext3
partition.  How can I access those separate partitions since it's only
one device (/dev/vg1/test)?  Normally, a partitioned block device
(/dev/hda) would show up like /dev/hda1, dev/hda2, etc.

With loop-device, you can use only part of the block-device as new
block-device (See options -o and -s in man:losetup)

So if you know the positions where the partitions start, and their
lengths (both in bytes), you could do something like this: (I havn't
tested this, so there might be some errors in these commands. But the
basic idea should work)

# make LVM partition available at /dev/loop1
losetup -o $lvm_start -s $lvm_size /dev/loop1 /dev/vg1/test
mkdir /mnt/test
# Mount ext3-partition at /mnt/test using loop-device
mount -t ext3 -o offset=$ext3_start,sizelimit=$ext3_length
/dev/vg1/test /mnt/test

--
Markus Laire