[linux-lvm] RAID5 expansion

Zac Slade krakrjak at volumehost.net
Sun Dec 3 21:24:49 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 14:59, Andrew Park wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have ServeRAID 6m card which had 5 drive set. I had that expanded to 8
> drive set and now that it had finished migration I wish to make OS make
> use of the expanded storage.  Now the question... how?
>
> I am using LVM2 so I thought simply running pvresize /dev/sda would do
> the trick but it is doing absolutely nothing.  It stil reports back the
> old RAID size.  I am running RHAS4 + update3.
>
> So I thought perhaps fdisk may help but I don't want to risk losing my
> data since this is now into 2 TB range.  So can you please advise as to
> how to go about doing this?  I really need to make this happen soon
> because there will be an immediate demand for the space.
pvresize is the correct step to take here, but it might be that the blocksize
hasn't actually increased in the kernel.  If that's the case you may have to
reboot or reload the controller driver, both of those of course would be
outages.

Here's what you can do to determine what the kernel believes the size of the
device is you can issue blockdev --getsize /dev/sda and that will return the
size of the device in 512 byte blocks, or to get it in KiB you can simply use
this bash statement: echo "$(($(blockdev --getsize /dev/sda) >> 1))"
--
Zac Slade
krakrjak at volumehost.net
ICQ:1415282 YM:krakrjak AIM:ttyp99