[linux-lvm] vgimport/vgexport commands when logically moving disks between systems

Dave davo_muc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 15:12:32 UTC 2006

Hi Patrick, et al.

Thanks for your comments!
I've been doing some testing on this topic, and encountering a bit of strange
behavior which seems to confirm the murkiness with switching VGs between hosts.
Please bear with my lengthy description, as I'm trying to be as clear as possible.
I really need to work this out.

THE TEST:

Hosts are P10 (primary node) and P11 (backup node)
VG is activated on P10 and fs is mounted.  To test a switch to P11, I deactivate the
VG on P10, but DO NOT run vgexport (following your suggestion).  I then, run
vgimport on P11 (but P11 reports it already knows about the VG - that's fine), and
then run an activate.  However, when I try to run an e2fsck on the fs, I get the
following error:

/sbin/e2fsck: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/tux-ao/app
Possibly non-existent or swap device?

However, the device does exist, and looks identical to the one on P10:
[P11]$ ls -l /dev/tux-ao/app
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,  14 Dec  6 14:46 /dev/tux-ao/app

I was able to fix the problem by putting vgexport back into the mix.  In this case,
I export the VG from P10 and then after an import on P11 I was able to run e2fsck
and mount successfully.

Also, this (unknown VG) message is somewhat common in pvscan, if a vgexport is not
performed:

> pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdk"  is associated to unknown VG "tux-ao" (run
vgscan)

Here is another clear example of some unexpected behavior (at least to me)...
1. status when $vg on P11 successful - notice the status of ACTIVE on P11 and
EXPORTED on P10

[P11]$ sudo pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/sdk" of VG "tux-ao"   [27.09 GB / 9.09 GB free]

[P10]$ sudo pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdk"  is in EXPORTED VG "tux-ao" [27.09 GB / 9.09 GB
free]

Then...
2. status after $vg is deactivated on P11 and activated on P10 (no vgexport run on
P11 before activation on P10) - Notice the "unknown VG" message on P10!!!

[P11]$ sudo pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdk" of VG "tux-ao"   [27.09 GB / 9.09 GB free]

[P10]$ sudo pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdk"  is associated to unknown VG "tux-ao" (run vgscan)

Then...
3.  Then, when I tried an activation on P10 I get no joy at all (ie. cannot perform
operations on the logical volume), despite the fact that it exists:
[P10]$ ls -l /dev/tux-ao/app
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      58,  14 Dec  6 15:04 /dev/tux-ao/app

/sbin/e2fsck: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/tux-ao/app
Possibly non-existent or swap device?

Is this simply flakey behavior with LVM 1.0.8 ?

We have several VGs on the machine, and sometimes we need to move one or two at a
time.  LVM (v1) seems to have trouble here, at least without vgexport.  Anyone know
what might be happening behind the scenes to cause this behavior?  It's looking to
me like I really do need vgexport to make things work the way we want.

Thanks again for helping me to clarify this situation.
Dave