[linux-lvm] recovering volumes

Using Fedora Core 5 I had a volume group on /dev/hda3 and added a logical volume on /dev/hde3. Didn't read the how to, didn't know it's a no-no. Decided to play with Ubuntu, and thought I'd set up logical volumes for it on /dev/hde2. Apparently, I wiped out the headers on / dev/hde3 and then the entire logical group for FC5 refused to mount. In attempting to recover the headers I've apparently wiped out the headers for the whole volume group -- pvcreate using a recovery option or something that I failed to follow with some generate command, if I remember right. Also, I set up a volume group on /dev/ hde2 and loaded FC6 into that since I was feeling burned by Ubuntu at the time.

Any guesses at how badly I'm screwed? or pointers to more information than can be found on the how-to pages?

Not really life-or-death data lost, but I had been using it to back up the digital camera and there were about a months worth of my kids experiments that I don't have a backup of. Also, it would be a useful exercise for me, in terms of gaining confidence in lvm, if there were some way to recover the headers just from the stuff in /etc/lvm .