Re: [linux-lvm] Ubuntu distro with lvm2, raid 1, not booting anymore.

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:51:33PM +0100, Maciej S?ojewski wrote:
Welcome!

I have the serious problem with booting of my machine. It is run on Ubuntu distro (5.10), with lvm2 raid 1 on two identical sata hard disks. Lilo bootloader. The problem is that after small change in lilo.conf and running /sbin/lilo my system is no longer bootable. I see 'kernel panic' message. When I try to run lilo again (from Ubuntu Live! cd) I see some comments somehow related to dev-mapper:

Warning: /proc/partitions does not match /dev directory structure
Name change: /dev/cloop 0 -> /tmp/dev.0
(...)
Fatal: is_primary: Not a valid device

what is exactly that you are doing to reinstall lilo?
i don't use ubuntu, but generally:
you should mount your original root fs on, say, /root
mount --bind /dev /root/dev
mount --bind /proc /root/proc
mount --bind /sys /root/sys
chroot /root /sbin/lilo

I will quote the kernel messages:
RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
invalid compressed format (err=1)
looks like your initrd is hosed
check that lilo is pointing to a correct initrd and/or regenerate
initrd. (no i don't remember the debian way to regenerate initrd)

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.