[linux-lvm] Ubuntu distro with lvm2, raid 1, not booting anymore.

Maciej Słojewski mslonik at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Feb 3 18:22:08 UTC 2006

Luca Berra wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:51:33PM +0100, Maciej S?ojewski wrote:
>
>> Welcome!
>>
>> I have the serious problem with booting of my machine. It is run on
>> Ubuntu distro (5.10), with lvm2 raid 1 on two identical sata hard
>> disks. Lilo bootloader. The problem is that after small change in
>> lilo.conf and running /sbin/lilo my system is no longer bootable. I
>> see 'kernel panic' message. When I try to run lilo again (from Ubuntu
>> Live! cd) I see some comments somehow related to dev-mapper:
>>

> what is exactly that you are doing to reinstall lilo?
> i don't use ubuntu, but generally:
> you should mount your original root fs on, say, /root
> mount --bind /dev /root/dev
> mount --bind /proc /root/proc
> mount --bind /sys /root/sys
> chroot /root /sbin/lilo

Dear Luka,

Thanks a lot for your answer and a clue. Unfortunately it doesn't help
me :-(

Here you go, what am I doing after system start:

* Ubuntu Live! CD is booting, I hit <ener> key
* system is starting in graphical mode
* I open terminal window

# sudo su
# cd /mnt
# mkdir dev proc boot sys
# mount -v -t ext3 /dev/PV/boot /mnt/boot
dev/mapper/PV-boot on /mnt/boot type ext3 (rw)
# mount -v -t ext3 /dev/PV/root /mnt/root
dev/mapper/PV-root on /mnt/root type ext3 (rw)
#mount -v -t proc none /mnt/proc
none on /mnt/proc type proc (rw)
#mount -v -t sysfs none /mnt/sys
none on /mnt/sys type sysfs (rw)

#chroot /mnt /bin/bash
#lilo

Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure
Name changes '/dev/cloop0' -> '/tmp/dev.0'
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (240,0) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,0) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,1) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,2) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,3) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,4) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,5) is missing
Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (254,6) is missing
Fatal: is_primary: Not a valid device 0xFE07

:-((( Please help me, what can I do now?
I have regenerated initrd, (update-initrd command). It did not help too.

Kind regards,
Maciej (mslonik)