[linux-lvm] can't create a PV

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Tue Feb 14 14:38:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:19:46AM +0000, Gunther Clasen wrote:

>Curiously, these 4 partitions had all been used in a software-RAID
>volume. So I reckon that lvm somehow picked up the metadata of the
>MD-device and refused to work.

this is documented in the manpage for lvm.conf

- snip -
md_component_detection (If set to 1, LVM2 will ignore devices
used as components of software RAID (md) devices by looking  for
md  superblocks. This doesn't always work satisfactorily e.g. if
a device has been  reused  without  wiping  the  md  superblocks
first.
- end snip -

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.