[linux-lvm] LVM drive changed from USB to Firewire

kelsey hudson khudson at tsss.org
Mon Feb 27 17:04:00 UTC 2006

David Brown wrote:
>>The problem is that the drive is not found at boot anymore, and an
>>error is raised because it can't be mounted. But if I do a vgscan,
>>then a vgchage -ay, then mount -a, all is well and my volumes are
>>mounted.
>>
>>How do I tell LVM to look at the firewire card instead of the usb controller?
>
> LVM should look at all of the devices.
>
> Most likely the firewire interface/driver takes longer to startup than the
> USB does, and the drive isn't visible when the startup scripts do their
> vgscan.

i've had a bunch of success with one machine on which I run LVM by
simply adding a 5-second wait period between the time the kernel calls
/sbin/init and it begins executing the contents of whatever rc script
init starts at your desired runlevel (add 'sleep 5' to the beginning of
this script). kernel threads are great in some circumstances (like
improving boot speed), but sometimes i guess you could say it boots too
fast for its own good!

just a side note though: my experience with ieee1394 under linux has
been less-than-satisfactory: i can't seem to get a decent aggregate raw
transfer rate of >11MByte/sec, no matter what hardware i use. i've since
  switched back to usb2.0, even though usb is completely and wholly the
wrong transport to use for mass storage devices :(

if you can get your disks working faster than this, please let me know
how you did it. :)

thanks
-kelsey