Re: [linux-lvm] Recovering LVM configuration on crashed RAID partition

Karl O. Pinc schrieb:

On 01/18/2006 08:13:12 AM, Oliver Schembach wrote:
Hi,

I'm running 4 IDE disks in my home server using software raid with the following partition layout:

hd[abcd]1   /boot (RAID 1)
hd[abcd]2   swap (RAID 5)

I don't know what I'm doing with LVM so can't help, but I can
say that you don't want to run swap on raid5.  Probably you
want to run it on raid0, perhaps raid 1 if you've hot-swappable
drives and want to maximize uptime.

Karl <kop meme com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for your recommendation regarding RAID 5 on swap partitions. There's not so much swapping on my machine, so I didn't really notice the drawbacks resulting from the CPU XORing for the raid 5 algarithm. My idea really was to avoid the machine going down in case of a disk crash in the raid array. But you are right, I will change the swap partition to RAID 1 (...if I ever will get back my data from my LVM partition...)

Regards,
   Oliver