[linux-lvm] Disk space reporting inconsistencies - lvm half baked

Jed Donnelley jed at nersc.gov
Thu Jan 19 19:50:57 UTC 2006

At 03:31 AM 1/18/2006, Chris bolton wrote:
>Hi,
>
>just added a new PV to my VG but to me there seems to be an
>inconsistency between what lvm says is the disk space and what df says.
>
>pvscan
>  PV /dev/sda2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [68.38 GB / 0    free]
>  PV /dev/sdb    VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [68.50 GB / 0    free]
>  PV /dev/hdc2   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [37.12 GB / 0    free]
>  PV /dev/hdb1   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [37.22 GB / 0    free]
>  PV /dev/hdd1   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [37.22 GB / 0    free]
>  PV /dev/hde1   VG VolGroup00   lvm2 [37.25 GB / 0    free]
>  Total: 6 [285.69 GB] / in use: 6 [285.69 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
>
>df -h
>/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00   265G  227G   28G  90% /
>
>I tried resizing the filesystem but it just says this..
>
>ext2online  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>    ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
>    ext2online: ext2_ioctl: No space left on device
>
>ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>
>Am I missing something obvious here? or have I ballsed it up along the way?
>
>Cheers,
>Chris.

Chris,

I believe the above is an example similar to the second of the two
situations that I
ran into when I came to the conclusion that LVM was "half baked" and not
(yet?) suitable for production use on server systems (below).

I repeat my message below for your information and in case there might
have been any changes that might allow recovery from the problems I
ran into.  I will be interested to see if you find any way to recover from
the problem you ran into: