[linux-lvm] Difference in LVM and LVM2 and their strength/weakness

Greetings,

  I am tasked to investigate the differences between LVM and LVM2.  I am new to LVM so it would be greatly appreciated if someone can explain or point me to the right direction for the following questions:

  1. What does LVM2 have that is not available in LVM?  Or is it a only better architectured implementation of LVM?
  2. Which version of Red Hat enterprise system uses which LVM?  And does the user need to do any configuration during installation?
  3. If LVM2 is definitely better than LVM, how stable is it?

Thanks.

Alex