Re: [linux-lvm] pvcreate can't use entire disk?

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:26:00PM -0500, f-lvm media mit edu wrote:
> "Device /dev/hdd not found."  The disk is surely online:  I can

> I would have -expected- pvcreate to complain about a partition table
> existing

The currrent internal structure of LVM2 makes that difficult.
Add -vvvv to commands for more information like that.

Invalid devices are filtered out at a low level in the libraries
so tools such as 'pvcreate' never see them.

If your disk has a partition table, then LVM2 insists you use those
partitions to reduce the risk of accidents.

> (at which point I would have zeroed it and tried again)

Did you try that?
(And then you might need to run 'vgscan'.)

Alasdair
--
agk redhat com