[linux-lvm] State of LVM Snapshotting?

In 2.4 atleast snapshots aren't very useful to me because they require huge chunks of contiguous kernel memory for the COW bitmap table. I was wondering if 2.6 improves this situation any. currently we use a 64M PE on volumes ranging in size from 30Gb up to and over 300Gb. The smaller volumes we can usually take snapshots of, but anything up over 100Gb we've never been able to reliably take any snapshots, much less have more than one because of this limitation.

Any feedback would be welcome, if you need specifics on the versions we were using I c cna provide them. Currently starting to (try) to migrate to 2.6. Though that's proving difficult and might be impossible because of reasons discussed on LKML.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler