[linux-lvm] pvcreate can't use entire disk?

f-lvm at media.mit.edu f-lvm at media.mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 18:45:00 UTC 2006

    Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:55:41 -0600
    From: AJ Lewis <aj at terrascale.net>

    Well, LVM1 would complain about the partition table.  I guess lvm2
    does not, but that doesn't change the fact that neither would let you
    write to a whole disk with a partition table on it.  I can update the
    howto to say that is the error to expect for lvm2 when trying to use
    a whole disk with a partition table on it.

Thanks.  I've also filed a bug report with Ubuntu (since that's the
distribution I tested this under) asking if the error message can be
made less misleading; we'll see if they fix it, push it upstream, or
whatever.  (After all, running pvcreate on a disk with a partition
table on it---whether by accident or not---has to be the single most
common non-succeeding case; it'd be nice if the error message didn't
lie about it.  If I hadn't been so cautious [and if I hadn't realized
that pvcreate's error message is wrong in LVM2] I've had just wiped
the partition table to begin with and never been mislead in the first
place.)