[linux-lvm] 8TB logical volumes with LVM2

Devon H. O'Dell devon.odell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 03:50:04 UTC 2006

Hello folks,

I'm trying to configure a system with 2 12 port 3ware 9550SX SATA RAID
cards to join the two physical volumes exported by the cards into a
single logical volume. There are 24x400GB drives, so the total is just
above 8TB.

After running the following commands:

pvcreate --metadatasize 1024 /dev/sdb1
pvcreate --metadatasize 1024 /dev/sdc1
vgcreate -s 128M vg0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
lvcreate -n lv0 -L8T vg0

The lvcreate command gobbles up CPU and memory as would be expected,
however, I get the following error message:

device-mapper device too small for target: /dev/sdb1
device mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument.
could not load device vg0-lv0
failed to activate new LV

Am I doing something incorrectly? I've tried with both Fedora Core 3
and Fedora Core 4. Any pointers on how I should continue with this
would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell