[linux-lvm] error msg: VG vgc1 metadata too large for circular buffer

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 21:33:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 03:35:41PM -0500, Gary Eheman wrote:
> I can destroy the data. In fact, that is what I would like to do, but
> softly using lvremove, vgremove, pvremove if possible. But I can't get
> around the current error.
>
> Advice,please?  Are there parameters I can give during the creation of
> the group or volume to avoid this?

As you realised, you need to recreate the PV with a much larger
metadatasize.

There are no tools yet to manipulate it after it's been created.

If you can throw it away, do that: vgchange -an to deactivate everything
then pvremove -ff to destroy it.

[If you weren't able to do that, there are workarounds involving making
lvm2 stop using that metadata area and using a new larger one somewhere
else instead.]

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com