Re: [linux-lvm] pvcreate can't use entire disk?

On Jan 23, 2006, at 5:02 PM, f-lvm media mit edu wrote:

    Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:35:16 +0000
    From: Alasdair G Kergon <agk redhat com>

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 05:26:00PM -0500, f-lvm media mit edu wrote:
"Device /dev/hdd not found."  The disk is surely online:  I can

I would have -expected- pvcreate to complain about a partition table
existing

    The currrent internal structure of LVM2 makes that difficult.
    Add -vvvv to commands for more information like that.

    Invalid devices are filtered out at a low level in the libraries
    so tools such as 'pvcreate' never see them.

If your disk has a partition table, then LVM2 insists you use those
    partitions to reduce the risk of accidents.

Ah.  That's directly contrary to the LVM2 howto at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/initdisks.html,
which says, "If you get an error that LVM can't initialize
a disk with a partition table on it, ..." etc.

Well, LVM1 would complain about the partition table. I guess lvm2 does not, but that doesn't change the fact that neither would let you write to a whole disk with a partition table on it. I can update the howto to say that is the error to expect for lvm2 when trying to use a whole disk with a partition table on it.

Regards,
AJ