[linux-lvm] lvm1 physical volume unaccessible after too big lv expansion

Eric Deplagne Eric.Deplagne at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 15 22:26:16 UTC 2006

Hi...

I'm getting into big trouble with a lvm1 physical volume
after I wanted to resize a logical volume and lvresize barked
something like
  "cannot grow a lv more than 64K extents"...

The problem is after that I cannot access my data...

I copy the output of pvdisplay -vv and pvscan at the end
of the message...

Trying to go any further tells me it did not find the volume group...

Any idea ?

I'm using ubuntu on a ppc (powerbook)

root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# pvdisplay -vv /dev/sdc
      Setting global/locking_type to 1
      Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/lvm
      File-based locking enabled.
    Using physical volume(s) on command line
      /dev/sdc: lvm1 label detected
      Reading physical volume data /dev/sdc from disk
      Found /dev/sdc in VG vg
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc
  VG Name               vg
  PV Size               233.76 GB / not usable 2.44 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       1024
  Total PE              239370
  Free PE               239370
  Allocated PE          0

root at unbuntu:/home/ubuntu# pvscan /dev/sdc
  logical extent (0) already mapped.
  Couldn't fill logical volume maps.
  logical extent (0) already mapped.
  Couldn't fill logical volume maps.