Re: [linux-lvm] Performance impact of LVM

Mark H. Wood wrote:
However this effect is probably down in the noise for most systems. The only way to know if it's a problem for you is to measure. I would expect that, given contemporary amounts of caching on the drive, the controller, and in the OS, you probably won't see it unless you are driving your storage *really* hard. If you do, dump/recreate contiguously/restore will make it go away.

For database partitions we always use "lvcreate -C y" when creating LVs for this reason, for every other area of the system however, I haven't noticed almost any impact of LVM(1 or 2) except that striping is easier to set up than using RAID0 because there's no need to repartition.

For example, I often do something like:

lvcreate -C y -n dbdata1 -L 100G mainstore
lvcreate -I 2 -n dbtemp -L 10G mainstore