[linux-lvm] snapshots and backups

I'm looking at using snapshots to take a full backup.  I've been search
around Google a bit and so far most of the how-to's I find are always
creating a snapshot, then mounting it, copying the data, unmounting it and
removing it.  My question is why are they doing this?  Is it because they
assume they only need data from one area of the drive or is there a better
reason for doing this?  I want to take a full backup and leave the snapshot
incase I need to restore it quickly.

--

~Shaun