[linux-lvm] Mounting two logical volumes to the same mount point

Georg Klein georg.klein at gmx.info
Tue Jun 20 20:14:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:07:29 +0200
Aad Rijnberg <Aad.Rijnberg at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my logical volume that contains /usr appears to be too small. I
> already removed some applications that I did not need, but it is
> still on the edge. Now that there are a lot of updates, I get the
> complaint of yum that there is not enough free space on /usr.

is it a own lv or is it just a directory on a lv?

> I just bought an additional harddisk which I also needed for other
> purposes, and would like to reserve part of this new drive for extra
> LVM space. I have just created a new volume group (VolGroup01) on the
> new drive, and a logical volume (LogVol01) inside that physical
> volume group.

Extend the logical volume /usr is on. Partition your new hard disk,
make a partition a physical volume (pvcreate), extend your volume
group (vgextend) , extend your logical volume (lvextend) and resize the
file system. Done. That's what LVM is good for ;-)

> Can I mount both /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 (which contains
> the /usr data on the "old" drive) and /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol01
> to the /usr mount point? Or can only one logical volume be mounted to
> a mount point?

just one device to a mount point. However, xou can mount the new lv to
a subdirectory of /usr - but the better (and LVM compliant) way is to
extend your existing lv.

Georg