[linux-lvm] LVM2 Error when creating snapshot

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jun 22 00:07:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 15:30 -0500, Kelly Sauke wrote:

> I get this error whenever I create a bunch of snapshots.  I have 36 filesystems
> in my vg.  If I walk through them creating a snapshot on each one, the last 4
> fail.  They fail with the below error.  I did the order backwards and got the
> same results so its not dependant on the lv I'm snapshotting, it appears to be
> dependant upon the number of snapshots I'm creating.
>

> /usr/sbin/lvcreate -L 1G -p r -s -n save_perpet2-20060619161740
> /dev/svg/save_perpet2lv
>   device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Cannot allocate memory

Sadly, you are getting about as much response as I got to both a posting
here and a bug filed with redhat about this issue.

This appears to be a "mis-use" of a particular kernel memory allocation
function that is used to reallocate a pool until it reaches the maximum
size that that particular function is capable of allocating.  I don't
recall the details at the moment however.  The bug in redhat's bugzilla
has a pretty good accounting IIRC.

b.

Brian J. Murrell