[linux-lvm] cleaning archive directory

Is the directory /etc/lvm/archive supposed to be cleaned up manually or should it be done by some tool?

I'm asking since the directory has grown to about 100MB on one of our machines.

I find parameters like 'retain_min' and 'retain_days' in the file /etc/lvm.conf, which I thought was indicating some kind of automatic cleaning tool or process. But I can't find any max values for how many files or how many days the files should be stored and it looks like the archive files are never deleted.

/Olle