[linux-lvm] I/O error

German Staltari gstaltari at arnet.net.ar
Mon Mar 13 12:39:57 UTC 2006

Hi, we have an IBM server attached to an IBM SAN with a qlogic HBA. When
I run 'lvdisplay' or any other 'Xdisplay' (vg, pv) command this is the
output:

  /dev/sdq: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sds: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdd: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdt: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  Found duplicate PV DYM8ElmyYadLJeAJk5TfxMx7pprrFHfk: using /dev/sdu
not /dev/sdc
  /dev/sdf: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdv: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  Found duplicate PV Qoe4208RQKg0XK1AfXjInMLglzU8ks6v: using /dev/sdw
not /dev/sde
  /dev/sdh: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdx: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  Found duplicate PV n3IC77zXPw0QQ6OcfldMfpKPRG3QsxXW: using /dev/sdy
not /dev/sdi
  Found duplicate PV EX7OrzfwKADyFhnnlooYEKtvL9t5Gv3W: using /dev/sdj
not /dev/sdg
  /dev/sdk: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  /dev/sdm: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
  Found duplicate PV ftppICdxAujdcPH0eZ77TBWD6waiOckd: using /dev/sdn
not /dev/sdl
  Found duplicate PV OuTEiF4W1rYuVGOTEcKQQmrDnDkpyATT: using /dev/sdp
not /dev/sdr
------------------------------ cut -----------------------------------------

The Storage Admin told me that there are two path to the same storage
(disk). I would like to know if this is an error to be worried about or
is just info? And if there's a way to avoid this output. Also, when a I
run 'dmesg', I have this output (if I clear with 'dmesg -c', it will
appear again in the next minutes):

Buffer I/O error on device sdk, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdk, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdk, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdm, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdm, sector 0
printk: 1 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device sdm, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdq, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdq, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sds, sector 0

FC4
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
  LVM version:     2.01.08 (2005-03-22)
  Library version: 1.01.02 (2005-05-17)
  Driver version:  4.4.0
Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. QLA2312 Fibre Channel Adapter (rev 02)

Thanks
German Staltari